Saturday 4 January 2014

New Year's Resolution

So, starting to implement one of my New Year's resolutions - not sure where it will get me, but anyway...  The plan is to document my progress (and hopefully there will be some progress - that is another one of those resolutions) painting 'toy' figures, as well as some thoughts, history, and techniques related to this hobby. I assume that my main emphasis will be painting 30 mm flats and 28 mm 'solid' (three dimensional) figures, but this may change - and there are actually some 18mm figures on my workbench.

'Flats' have a long history and are mainly produced in Germany. They are often called 'Zinnfiguren' (tin figures), although they are actually made from a tin-lead alloy, to which often small amounts of antimony have been added (each producer has its own, often 'secret' mix).

Heinrichsen Flats, from the set 'horse pasture' (this set is a slightly larger size, classified as 40mm), recent figures, but the forms are from around 1850:


No comments:

Post a Comment